- Lenovo Canada for hosting the event and letting ylab run amock in their amazing new space. Nothing was too much trouble for Stefan, Kathleen, Kevin and David.
- The growing cast of ylab members – Brooke on sound, Pek as announcer, Richard, Lucian, Ross and so many others for setup/teardown, Ruby for the food; and other volunteers like Murray and Andrea for registration duties.
- Startup York, Coffee and Code and others for helping get the word out.
- Our good friends at North of 41 for inspiring us and helping us in so many ways to get it organised.
- DDO’s Mike helped sort out some hand-held ham radio configuration
- Lucian helped reload a home router with open source Gargoyle software to torture kids with parental controls, get free DNS, and and set up remote VPN acces.
- 3D design course materials being developed by Richard and were tested on human guinea pig and new member Brooke… with a focus on the new light sabre design.
- Ross worked and demo’d his latest remote-control robot software… now featuring Python code.
- Pek and Jay worked the second 3D printer and its controller PC to augment the persnickety rep-rap printer.
Just another way ylab is building real technical community north of Toronto.
‘Twas the night before Christmas, and all through the DDOme, Not a creature was stirring in the maker’s new home; The basement room floor has been painted with care, In hopes that equipment soon would be there;
The paperwork done, agreements written and read, As plans for new robots danced in their heads;Maker nights on break, ’til the old year is done, But working new projects, new ideas, new fun.
Just in case you were not able to make it through that horrible verse…
We’re taking a break from maker nights for the rest of the year, and we’ll be off and running in 2016 starting on Monday January 4 with member-only nights (Mondays, and another weeknight TBD), and weekly open house for visitors on Wednesdays.
Until then, there’s lots happening behind the scenes. Now that so much of the administrative stuff for getting the space started is done, we’re putting some effort back into planning new events and projects.
Some of the things in the works:
- A ham radio class, to be run jointly with the DDO and the York Region Amateur Radio Club.
- Light sabre making project and classes. Our first 3D printing class will include the option of designing your own light sabre hilt.
- Our first ylab corporate event, featuring some great tech company leaders from the area. Hint: keep your calendar free for the evening of Monday, January 25.
- Our Robotycs team is looking for a group project.
- Getting a team together to work with the DDO on more cool stuff for their 2016 Halloween Haunted House. Hear that, Robotycs people?
Lots more possibilities, so please give us your feedback… and preferably by joining the discussion on our meetup.com group.
On that note… and to all a good night.